xogsmommy

Thoughts and musings of a mom of three.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Captain, My Captain

I took a carbon output test to see how environmentally friendly we are. My family scored a 348. I couldn't seem to find whether that is average, high, or low. I know we could score better. For instance, we don't have all halogen bulbs, just some. They are expensive, so as bulbs burn out, we replace them with halogen. So that one will get better.

As we settle in, I'm thinking more green. Growing up, we had rotating chores. One of the chores was the light captain. This person was responsible for going around to rooms and making sure the lights were out. I am going to do that here. That would help our green rating, besides saving on electricity.

I wonder what the average family can do to be more green without spending a ton of money?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Robyn said...

I was watching a documentary about going "carbon neutral" the other day and the family actually ended up saving a packet of money, BUT they were living pretty extravagently to start with and some of the cost/energy saving measures were more time intensive. I think we have tax incentives for carbon offsetting, maybe the US has the same?
Its cool you're blogging more :)

4:39 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Heather said...

we aren't extravagant. we watch every penny. all purchases are researched for the best deal possible. we'd like to be more green, but that initial investment is a killer.

4:48 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home